6-year-old dies from flu, becomes first NC flu death | Health
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina health officials say a six-year-old is the state's first death from the flu this season.
The state Department of Health and Human Services has recorded no other flu deaths since the infection season began in October. North Carolina's flu death toll by the same time last year was 14.
State health officials say the six-year old died more than two weeks ago of complications from an influenza infection. Officials won't name the child's hometown, county or even gender to protect the family's privacy.
The child was at risk for complications from the flu because of other medical conditions.
State Health Director Dr. Laura Gerald says the death is a reminder that flu is a serious illness and can be devastating to people at any age.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Top Salisbury Stories
Upcoming Events near Salisbury
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police looking for man who jumped counter at bank, took money from drawer
- Troopers: Former Statesville NAACP head, teacher's assistant killed in crash
- Woman arrested for using husband's info to apply for credit card, detectives say
- Police looking for two men who robbed Troutman bank
- Man faces 27 charges involving B&E's at City garage, investigators say