What to do when unemployment benefits run out | News
SALISBURY - The R3 Center is offering numerous career development workshops and resume clinics in September for adults in Rowan and Cabarrus counties. All of the programs are provided free-of-charge.
“The highlight of the month is a workshop titled ‘Facing the End of Your Unemployment Benefits,’ on Sept. 12 and 26,” said Keri Allman, director of the R3 Center. “We have a number of clients entering the center that have been on a cycle of unemployment and their regular benefits have either expired or are about to.”
Located at 200 West Ave., in Kannapolis, the R3 Center is a career development center established by Rowan-Cabarrus Community College to assist displaced workers, those who are unemployed or under-employed.
“The amount of stress for these clients can be overwhelming and we are here to help,” continued Allman. “Planning a new career path can be difficult under these circumstances, but there is hope. This workshop will explore techniques and assistance designed to help you transition back into work.”
The center’s mission is built on three Rs – a refocus on individual skills and interests, retraining and further education, and partnering with other workforce development agencies to secure career-oriented re-employment.
The center’s September schedule of workshops includes the following sessions. Due to the popularity of its free sessions, the R3 Center strongly encourages clients to call in advance to reserve a place (704-216-7201).
New Client Launch –offered on Mondays at 9 a.m. with the exception of Labor Day Monday; on Tuesdays at 6 p.m.; on Wednesdays at 11 a.m.; on Thursdays at 2 p.m. in September. New Client Launch is an orientation workshop for persons who have never attended an R3 Center workshop or taken advantage of its other services.
The calendar also includes the following workshops:
- Identifying Your Career Options – 9 a.m. on September 13; and 2 p.m. on September 26;
- Interview Techniques – 9 a.m. on September 14; and 6 p.m. on September 24;
- Networking Methods – 9 a.m. on September 18;
- Stand Out from the Competition – 2 p.m. on September 5; and 6 p.m. on September 17;
- Looking for Work at 50+ – 6 p.m. on September 10; and 9 a.m. on September 25;
- Looking for Work with a Criminal Record –2 p.m. on September 19;
- Letter Writing for the Job Seeker – 9 a.m. on September 11;
- Online Job Hunting – 9 a.m. on September 21; and
- Facing the End of Your Unemployment Benefits – 2 p.m. on September 12; and 9 a.m. on September 26.
The R3 Center also will offer multiple resume clinics to help job searchers improve their current resume or create a new one from start to finish. Please call to reserve a seat. The resume clinics are scheduled for:
- 9 a.m. on September 6, 22 and 27; and
- 11 a.m. on September 11.
The R3 Center helps adult workers assess their skills, aptitudes, training and academic credentials, and future career interests to develop an action plan for career growth. All R3 Center services are provided free-of-charge. The center’s normal office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The R3 Center partners with other workforce development agencies, including the Centralina Workforce Development Board, JobLink Career Centers of Cabarrus and Rowan counties, N.C. Employment Security Commission, and other area community colleges.
For more information about the R3 Center and its services and programs, please call 704-216-7201, or visit the center’s website at www.rccc.edu/r3center/.
Top Salisbury Stories
Upcoming Events near Salisbury
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Woman arrested for using husband's info to apply for credit card, detectives say
- Police looking for two men who robbed Troutman bank
- Man faces 27 charges involving B&E's at City garage, investigators say
- Public invited to free afternoon of canoeing
- One in custody, police looking for second suspect in Statesville homicide