Firefighters from Cabarrus, Rowan fight fire; warning about wood stoves | News
CABARRUS COUNTY - At approximately 2 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 19, the Cabarrus County Fire Marshal's Office responded to a residential structure fire at 6037 Cress Road, Mt. Pleasant.
Mt. Pleasant Fire Department was first on the scene and worked to extinguish the fire with the assistance of crews from Cold Water, Concord, Northeast-Cabarrus, Rockwell Rural and Rimer fire departments.
Cabarrus County EMS provided medical monitoring for the firefighters. There are no reported injuries.
The Fire Marshal's Office estimates damages to the structure at approximately $39,000. It lists the cause of the fire as accidental, associated with a wood-burning stove.
The Fire Marshal's Office reminds citizens that wood-burning stoves cause more than 4,000 residential fires each year.
The Fire Marshal is advising residents to carefully follow the manufacturer's installation and maintenance instructions or have the stoves professionally installed, and to check the stove regularly for cracks and inspect the legs, hinges and door seals for smooth joints and seams.
Remember to only used seasoned wood for fuel, not green wood, artificial logs or trash. Have a professional inspect and clean pipes and chimneys annually and check for damage or obstructions monthly.
For more information on fire safety and prevention, contact the Cabarrus County Fire Marshal's Office at 704.920.2143.