Near record temps producing thunderstorms across region | Weather
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Record breaking heat has rolled into Charlotte region and is causing some severe weather to pop up across the area.
WBTV Meteorologist Ashley Batey says a line of severe storms is rolling across the high country and may arrive in the Charlotte region during the evening Thursday.
Batey says the plentiful sunshine is heating things up causing storms to develop across the region.
Highs for Thursday are expected to be close to the record of 86 degrees.
On Wednesday, the old record of 82 degrees set in 1973 was shattered by one degree, Batey says.
The storms are producing quarter-sized hail and winds of 60 miles per hour or greater.
Lows for Thursday night will be in the mid-50s before things heat up into the 70s Friday and on into the weekend.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Salisbury Stories
Upcoming Events near Salisbury
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Woman arrested for using husband's info to apply for credit card, detectives say
- Police looking for two men who robbed Troutman bank
- Man faces 27 charges involving B&E's at City garage, investigators say
- Public invited to free afternoon of canoeing
- One in custody, police looking for second suspect in Statesville homicide